News & Updates
Children's Program at Nalanda
Last Friday of the Month
7 pm to 8:30 pm
Kids Meditation Group
Introduce your child to the ideas of meditation, mindfulness and kindness at Nalanda's kids program. The program is geared towards children ages 4-10 and their parents, and will include hands on activities, stories, songs, and meditation exercises. While Buddhist materials will be used, the focus will be on mindfulness and kindness, so it is suitable for all families interested in fostering these qualities. It is being developed and led by parents, and is expected to continue once a month, most likely on the last Friday of the month.
If you plan to attend please email Quita Terrell: firstname.lastname@example.org
There is no cost.
For Thursday Evening Practice & Discussion
July & August 2014
Stolen Moments by Mimi Williams
Schedule for Reading and Discussion
You may recall that Geshe Jamyang assigned this book: To Dispel the Miseries of the World by Ga Rabjampa Kunga Yeshe, foreword by Khenpo Appe (Geshe Jamyang's main teacher), Wisdom Publications, Rigpa Translations.
We have been discussing it during the Thursday night discussion periods. Geshe wants us to finish the book over July and August. The reading assignments for each summer week are listed below.
- - To end of Chapter 6: The Trials of Samsara
- - Chapter 7: through The Practice of Taking (p99 to bottom p119)
- - Chapter 7: through The Practice of Giving (p119 to middle p137)
- - (see below - Guest Teacher)
- - (see below - Guest Teacher)
- - Chapter 8: through Shamatha (p139 to middle, p145)
- - Chapter 8: Vipassana (p 145 to end of chapter, p152)
- - Chapter 9: Subsequent Points (p153 to end, p174)
- - Chapter 10: Conclusion and Appendix (p175 to p185)
Jamyang’s intention for using this book is to “move beyond mindfulness” to a deeper reflection about the reality of life and its meaning. This is achieved by engaging with the practices in this book, not just reading it. Doing practice is what facilitates the observation of our own lives, which in turn is what generates wisdom.
The discussions may be primarily among ourselves, Geshe often takes a break during July and August.
Thursdays, and , 7 pm
Beginning Meditation Classes
Ven Tenzin Gache
On these Thursdays, Venerable Tenzin Gache will teach basic meditation and concentration practice. The classes are intended for those new to meditation. Gache will provide both inspiring and scientific bases for developing attentional focus and emotional balance. While tailored to beginners, given Ven Gache’s extensive training, everyone could certainly benefit.
The instruction will be based on a book by Chade Meng-Tan called “Search Inside Yourself”. Meng-Tan is a Google engineer who developed this material to teach Google employees how to develop and use mindfulness at work. Ven Gache will also draw on her extensive training from Buddhist teachers. This promises to be a great course.
Venerable Gache was ordained as a nun in 2007 in Dharamsala, India by His Holiness the Dalai Lama. In addition to all the study needed to be ordained, Ven Gache has had the following specific instructional retreats in concentration and insight meditation.
- 10 day retreat in the Theravadin tradition in Thailand by Suon Mok
- Three one month retreats in the Tibetan tradition by Ven Antonio Satta (Bodhgaya and France)
- Several 3 day to 3 week retreats from Ven Rene Fuesi at Vajrapani Institute
- S. N. Goenkas famous 10 day meditation course
- 2 month retreat with Alan Wallace, a former translator for His Holiness the Dalai Lama, and author of several meditation and Buddhist books.
Ven Gache attends many of Geshe Jamyang's teachings and always expresses huge appreciation for Geshe Jamyang's knowledge and approach to meditation. So her class will also reflect our own teacher's approach.
The Nalanda Study Group
The Noble Eight Fold Path
In Septemer We are beginning a new topic for reading and discussion:The Noble Eightfold Path. See New Topic.
Tulku Yeshi and Geshe Jamyang
Teachings from Nalanda's 2013 Retreat
and First Thursday Talks
Some of Geshe Jamyang's teachings on the first Thursday of each month as well as teachings from Nalanda's Retreat in June, 2013 are now available on-line at Talks.